Join Our Team
//Work With Us_
Want to join our team? We occasionally have employment opportunities. If you have interest and experience in our work, explore our current openings and consider applying to join our growing organization!
Job Posting: Program Coordinator, Keeping Six
Contract Details: 35 hours per week, $28 per hour minus deductions. Contract length is 6 months with the possibility of renewal, starting in March 2023. Access to a cell phone, personal computer, and reliable transportation, is helpful but not required. We will ensure access to these items for the successful candidate.
Position Summary: reporting to the HAMSMaRT Program Manager, this position is an opportunity to contribute to addressing the drug policy crisis in Hamilton in solidarity with people who use drugs. The program coordinator will plan and facilitate weekly Keeping Six meetings, support peers who work and volunteer as part of Keeping Six, and coordinate the operation of drop in and street outreach programming. Preference will be given to people with lived experience of drug use.
● Coordinating weekly street outreach in collaboration with students from McMaster University (Sunday afternoons)
● Planning and facilitating weekly Keeping Six drop in (Tuesday afternoons)
● Planning and facilitating weekly K6 organizing meetings (Monday afternoons)
● Co-planning monthly All Teams meetings with HAMSMaRT’s Program Manager
● Completing and sharing debrief notes weekly from outreach and contributing to monthly newsletter
● Volunteer coordination and supervision
● Answering the Keeping Six general inquiries email account
● Managing the program supplies inventory and reporting needs to Hamsmart Program manager
● Liaising, including weekly meetings, with the HAMSMaRT Program Manager and Keeping Six Arts Coordinator around operations (contracts, budgets), as well as programming, including volunteer management
● Representing Keeping Six at virtual and in-person community meetings as required
● Naloxone and harm reduction supply inventory and ordering
● Other related tasks as required
Required Qualifications and Skills
● Previous formal or informal experience with people who use drugs, including but not requiring personal lived experience
● Previous formal or informal experience coordinating community-based projects
● Demonstrated commitment to harm reduction practice and philosophy
● Demonstrated ability to build relationships with peers, community members, clients, and/or colleagues
● Knowledge and understanding of issues of sexism, misogyny, racism, cissexism, transphobia, heterosexism, homophobia, biphobia, xenophobia, ageism, ableism, classism, White supremacy, anti-Black racism, colonialism, and settler colonialism
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
● Experience with street outreach
● Experience with volunteer training and supervision
● Training or work experience in health professions, social work, or other social services
● Oral and written communication skills
● Digital engagement skills (online events and learning)
● Operations management skills (budgeting, purchasing, distributing)
To apply, please forward a cover letter or letter of interest and a resume or statement of qualifications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 10th, 2023. Keeping Six and HAMSMaRT prioritize employing people with shared lived and living experience with the people who attend our programs and are part of our communities, including being unhoused or precariously housed, using drugs, and experiencing systemic discrimination. We are committed to breaking down barriers to employment including racism, patriarchy, classism, transphobia, homophobia, ableism, criminalization, ageism, sexism, stigma around drug use, and other forms of discrimination. We deeply value the unique contributions that members of our communities bring from a breadth of life experiences and identities, and are committed to hiring practices that centre different forms of knowing and doing.
People from equity seeking groups are encouraged to apply and self-identify in their cover letter. If you need accommodation in any part of the application process, please email email@example.com or call or text 365-366-7381.
To download or print the PDF of this job posting, please click here.
Keeping Six – Hamilton Harm Reduction Action League is a community-based organization that defends the rights, dignity and humanity of people who use drugs. It was formed in response to the ravages of the opioid crisis, by people who use drugs and those who love and care for them, for purposes of mutual protection and cooperation. It now exists as a project within the broader HAMSMaRT organization.
Hamilton Social Medicine Response Team (HAMSMaRT) is an outreach and advocacy organization that strives to provide excellence in clinical care to individuals who have difficulty accessing the traditional medical system. We provide mobile outreach healthcare with a team of physicians, midwifery, and outreach workers. We believe that health is political, and engage in advocacy to address the structural determinants of health. We primarily serve people who are homeless and people who use drugs. We believe in a world where every resident and community in Hamilton has the resources and autonomy for health on their own terms.